Forest Worker Basic Safety Program
YOU MAY "SKIP" TO PAGE TWO HERE
WHO IS THIS COURSE DIRECTED AT?
This short online course has been developed to assist the forest companies to implement a Forest Worker Safety Program. It is also focused toward the individual forest worker; be they treeplanters or other NON forest fire fighting crew persons.
This course is NOT a substitute for the S-100 Fire Suppression or the S-100A Annual Safety Review Courses.
It must be clear that this Basic Forest Worker Safety (includes Tree Planters) Course is intended for individuals who worker in the forest and who are NOT hired to engage in wildland firefighting (or lighting) activities.
There will be a short quiz at the end of the course and the participant will immediately receive a "letter of successful completion" as soon as they complete and submit the online registration.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES AND OUTCOMES
Upon completion of the course the individual will be aware of; and how how to act and respond to a wide variety of circumstances which may arise while they are at the work site or in a camp situation, located in the forest.
The worker will obtain an understanding and technical knowledge of:
The Job of Treeplanting
- Basic planting techniques
- Personal Gear & Safety
The Work Site
- Become more aware of their surroundings
- How and what to do in an emergency
Wildland Fire(Report & Evacuate)
- Be able to identify dangerous topography relating to fire behaviour
- Be able to identify safe locations called "safe zones"
- Know how to report a forest fire
- Understand the Fire Triangle
- Learn how to extinguish a "campfire" size fire
- Basic fire tool usage - Shovels & Pulaskis
- Basic use of water if available
- Know what to do in the event of a forest fire being spotted
- Know how to board a helicopter in the event of an evacuation
- Know what to do if they are near an Air Tanker Drop Zone
Back Road Driving
- Know how to safely drive on forest back roads
- Know what safety equipment should be in and on each vehicle
- Vehicle safety check
- Recognize when their driver is NOT driving safely and how to respond
- Know what to behave and be safe in a camp situation
- Know how, when, and where, to evacuate their work site
- Mice - Hantavirus
Go to NEXT PAGE